Illinois Trekkers Volkssport Association
ARTICLE I – NAME
Illinois Trekkers Volkssport Association BYLAWSThis club shall be known as the “ILLINOIS TREKKERS VOLKSSPORT CLUB”, and the short name shall be “ILLINOIS TREKKERS”. It shall be a private organization.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
Section 1. This club is a recreational organization dedicated to promoting physical fitness through participation in volkssporting events. The club shall:
- Encourage and support member participation in these events and similar activities.
- Promote the exchange of ideas, goodwill, friendship and good sportsmanship among clubs, local communities, civic organizations, and individuals dedicated to these purposes.
- Be a member of the American Volkssport Association, Inc (AVA), a Texas nonprofit corporation, with its principal office at 1001 Pat Booker Road, Phoenix Square, Suite 203, Universal City, Texas 78148, and any state or regional associations as directed by the AVA.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Section 1. Membership shall be open to any person of good repute subscribing to these Bylaws.
Section 2. Membership shall not be denied to any person based on an individual’s race, sex, color, religion, national origin, marital status or age.
Section 3. Active membership is defined as a current dues-paying individual or family member, age 18 or over.
Section 4. The Board of Directors may, by unanimous vote, bestow honorary memberships for the benefits of the club.
Section 5. The Board of Directors may withdraw or suspend club membership, or deny membership renewal to a member, when the member’s behavior is in violation of these Bylaws.
- The Board of Directors shall notify the member prior to taking action.
- The member shall have the right to address the Board of Directors prior to the Board’s decision.
- The member may appeal the Board’s decision within 60 days by requesting a hearing at a scheduled General Membership meeting. The appeal vote shall be final and will be decided by a simple majority vote of the active members present.
ARTICLE IV – DUES
Section 1. The Board of Directors will establish initial and renewal membership dues, subject to the approval of the active membership.
Section 2. Payment of club dues shall be made to the Treasurer. Renewal membership dues shall cover a period of twelve (12) months. Initial membership dues for new members joining the club on or after July 1 shall be one-half (1/2) of the annual dues.
Section 3. The Board of Directors shall periodically review the club dues.
ARTICLE V – OFFICERS
Section 1. The Board of Directors shall be the club executive agency and shall consist of four elected club officers: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
Section 2. The term of office for the Board of Directors shall be twelve (12) months. Officers may serve an indefinite number of terms.
Section 3. Qualifications for elected office shall consist of:
- The individual must have been a member of the club for a minimum of six (6) months.
- The individual must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.
Section 4. A Nominating Committee shall be appointed no later than September 1 of each year to:
- Solicit and receive nominations for elected office.
- Verify eligibility and prepare a slate of candidates.
- Provide absentee ballots to the active membership on request.
Section5. Elections shall be held at the November General Membership meeting. Those elected will assume office on January 1.
Section 6. In the event of a vacancy of:
- President – the Vice President will succeed to that office.
- Any other elected officer – the Board of Directors shall appoint a replacement to complete the term.
Section 7. Any act, not otherwise specified in these Bylaws, made by any elected or appointed club official or member of the Board of Directors may be reviewed or challenged at a General Membership meeting.
Section 8. An elected officer may be recalled by requesting a Special Membership meeting. Section 9. The duties and responsibilities of club officers shall be as enumerated below.
- The President shall:
- Be the senior officer responsible for the conduct of all club business.
- Preside over the General Membership, the Special Membership, and the Board of Directorsmeetings.
- Represent the club as the senior elected official at all appropriate gatherings and occasions.
- Authorize all proposed expenditures of club funds, after consulting with the Treasurer, andreceiving approval of the Board of Directors for any expenditure which exceeds $300.00.
- Review all financial statements and minutes of meetings and submit to the membership fortheir approval.
- Establish and dissolve ad hoc committees.
- The Vice President shall:
- Perform the duties of the President in his/her absence and succeed to the office of the president in the event it is vacated.
- Serve as a member of appropriate ad hoc committees.
- Assist the President in managing club business at the direction of the President.
- The Secretary shall:
- Record and maintain minutes of all meetings of the membership and Board of Directors.
- Maintain club files.
- Maintain historical files of activities, accomplishments and events in which the club isinvolved.
- Prepare correspondence as required.
- Serve as a member of the Publicity Committee.
- The Treasurer shall:
- Receive and distribute club funds as required.
- Present a financial report at each General Membership meeting.
- Advise the president of the adequacy of club funds to meet club obligations.
- Monitor club funds and assets operated by committees.
- Record and maintain central records of all club assets and liabilities in accordance with goodaccounting practices.
- Enroll and renew members in the club, collect dues, and maintain club membership records.
- The Board of Directors shall:
- Monitor all club activities.
- Appoint and dismiss standing committee chairpersons.
- Establish and enforce club policies.
- Approve all proposals to expend club funds which exceed $300.00.
- Approve all agreements or contracts before execution by authorized club representatives.
ARTICLE VI – COMMITTEES
Section 1. There shall be five (5) standing committees: Awards and Achievements; Publicity; Services and Properties; Special Activities; and Volkssport.
Section 2. Ad hoc committees may be established as deemed necessary.
Section 3. General guidance for committees shall include:
- Each standing committee shall establish written procedures for its operation.
- Each standing committee shall submit recommended changes to operational procedures to the Board of Directors for review and approval.
- Each committee responsible for handling club assets (money, supplies, awards, etc.) shall submit, as required, an inventory of assets on hand; and provide to the Treasurer, when requested, a statement of distributed assets.
Section 4. The Awards and Achievements Committee shall manage the club’s personal achievement program, work with volkssport event chairperson to obtain awards, and supervise their distribution.
Section 5. The Publicity Committee shall solicit, receive, and prepare news for the club newsletter, write publicity for distribution to the media, and prepare other informational and recruiting materials as necessary.
Section 6. The Services and Properties Committee shall maintain and operate a volkssport items outlet for sales, and manage the properties of the club. This committee shall comply with the inventory and asset control requirements stated above.
Section 7. The Special Activities Committee shall manage internal club activities and special activities as directed by the Board of Directors.
Section 8. The Volkssport Committee shall:
- Annually propose a club-sponsored schedule of events for presentation to the Board of Directors and membership for their approval.
- Canvas the membership for chairpersons to manage each proposed scheduled event.
- Keep the membership informed of scheduled volkssport events.
ARTICLE VII – MEETINGS
Section 1. An annual schedule for General Membership meetings shall be determined by the Board of Directors, with a minimum of four (4) meetings per year including the annual meeting in November for the purpose of election of officers.
Section 2. Special Membership meetings may be held as called.
Section 3. The President shall call Board of Directors meetings as necessary.
Section 4. A quorum shall consist of:
- For General Membership meetings – at least three (3) members of the Board of Directors, including the President or Vice President, and at least one (1) more active member than the total number of officers present.
- For Special Membership meetings – at least three (3) members of the Board of Directors, including the President or Vice President, and ten (10) percent of the active members.
- For Board of Directors meetings – at least three (3) members of the Board, including the President or Vice President.
Section 5. A simple majority vote of the active members present shall decide motions during all meetings unless otherwise specified in these Bylaws. The President shall cast the deciding vote in case of a tie.
Section 6. A Special Membership meeting shall be held at the request of at least three (3) members of the Board of Directors, or when a petition is signed by at least twenty-five (25) percent of the active members.
Section 7. The dates for General Membership and Special Membership meetings shall be announced at least two (2) weeks in advance.
Section 8. General Membership meetings shall be announced in the club newsletter. Special Membership meetings shall be announced in the club newsletter, time permitting, or by mail to all active members at least two (2) weeks prior to the meeting date. Notification of a Special Membership meeting shall include the reason for the meeting.
ARTICLE VIII – AMENDMENTS
Section 1. These Bylaws may be amended by a simple majority vote of the active members present at a General Membership or Special Membership meeting.
Section 2. Proposed changes must be published and provided for review by the active membership at least one month prior to the scheduled vote.
ARTICLE IX – AUDITS
Section 1. The Treasurer shall provide a financial statement annually and upon request of a majority of active membership.
Section 2. The Treasurer shall provide all materials required for audit.
ARTICLE X – GENERAL PROVISIONS
Section 1. The active membership is responsible for custodianship of the club operating fund.
Section 2. The active membership will be financially liable only for the club’s normal operating obligations that the fund fails to discharge. All liabilities arising from ordinary operating expenses will be satisfied when, and if, the fund is dissolved.
Section 3. Consideration shall be given to public liability and property damage insurance coverage against any claims and lawsuits arising from acts or omissions of members acting in any capacity for, or participating in, the activities of the fund.
Section 4. This club is a not-for-profit organization, and no part of its assets shall inure to the benefit of any member.
Section 5. Unless otherwise specified, the term “mail” is interpreted as any item delivered by US Postal Service, other nationally recognized delivery service such as but not limited to Fedex or UPS, and electronic media such as email and FAX.
Section 6. Where the provisions of these Bylaws conflict with provisions of the AVA Bylaws, the provisions of AVA Bylaws will take precedence.
ARTICLE XI – DISSOLUTION
Upon dissolution of this club, all funds and properties in excess of liabilities and expenses at dissolution will be distributed as recommended by a simple majority of the active members present at the last meeting of this organization.
ARTICLE XII – ADOPTION; DISTRIBUTION; EFFECTIVE DATE
Section 1. These Bylaws shall become effective upon adoption by an affirmative vote of a simple majority of the active members present.
Section 2. Copies of these Bylaws shall be made available to all active members of the club and to governing agencies having a need to know.
Section 3. These Bylaws supersede the Constitution and Bylaws adopted on May 17, 1986, as amended on February 5, 1998; and any and all previously adopted Constitution and Bylaws.
APPROVED: 5 November 2015